Sunday, April 18, 2010

Week 1 - Thing 3

I was working on finding some waterfall images for a student of mine who is doing a research project. I didn't have any luck finding any photo that didn't have a license fee attached or permission needed. I also ended up finding plumbing products using the word waterfall as my search. It's great how you can set the parameters for searching but also very time consuming. I've spent a long time on this. With no luck, I went to searching for a panther that is my daughter's soccer team mascot. I had to change my search to clip art instead of all content in order to narrow it down and find something. I actually found a blogspot site that has free panther clip art. We might actually be able to use one. The link is: http://www.clipart-for-free.blogspot.com/2009/10/free-panther-clipart.html. It is a necessity to go through this process with your students so they understand the technology copyright information just as they understand the importance of not plagerizing when writing. The technology piece is the same thing. After looking at all the links and watching the videos, I realize one of the important ideas is to not always look at one source as an absolute when wanting to use an idea from online or even your own. You really ned to check multiple place to make sure what you are wanting to use is ok and make sure your own idea is truly original. Each persons creative idea is protected. As with anything new, I will understand this more clearly once I continue to dig in.

No comments:

Post a Comment